History of Monchique Municipality
The municipality of Monchique enters the annals of history with the arrival at Caldas de Monchique of Roman settlers drawn by the curative powers of the local waters. The population grew slowly over the years and by the 16th century Monchique was big enough to justify a visit from King Sebastian (1554 - 1578) whose intention was to grant it the status of a town.
Monchique’s prosperity was founded on weaving wool and linen to make the sturdy fabrics worn in times gone by, and on other activities connected with the wood of the local chestnut trees. It earned its civic charter in 1773.
Today, Monchique is an elegant town full of craftspeople, and with a diversified economy oriented towards tourism and locally made products, which bear witness to the cultural richness of the hills of the “serra”.